15 November 2005

Strange and stranger

Last year I was sitting on the steps of my front decklette, having a cup of coffee and gazing at the smallish hybrid magnolia tree that came with the property. While pondering that hybrids are distinctive from the wild variety I have many of [they have rust colored undersides to their leaves], I noticed a tubular 'something' on the underside and got up and took a closer look. Wasp nest. Ewww.

I am not a believer that all life has a right to exist... wasps rank right up there with hairy, rosebush-eating caterpillers. So, I took a pair of cutters, removed the four leaves with 'tumors' and placed them in a bucket of water. I couldn't bring myself to squash them.

Fresh, clean bucket and nothing in the water but the leaves...

Later that day I went to see what was in the water from nests. I wish I had had my camera. Mud, which was expected. And spider children. Not just one variety of spider either... at least three, in with the wasp children [pupae].

The only thing I can think of is that they were birthing rooms of opportunity that the spiders took advantage of - those that hatched first got lunch.

I mentioned this to my sister and she laughed. She said I should keep a diary about all the strange things I come across... I laughed.

I'm not laughing anymore - I'll blog instead.