14 November 2005

"Wicked" lost me

I just finished "Wicked" by Gregory Maquire and "The City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt. If I had to chose between the two to recommend, I would recommend Angels.

I liked the premise behind "Wicked," it just felt tortured getting from the beginning to the end, like walking in shoes with no arch support... just felt wrong. Now, I like satire. I also worship at the altar of wicked clever fantasy. The beginning through where she left the school to go to the Emerald City was fine... however, for me, the tempo changed and he lost me in the Emerald City.

Anyway, that's my take on it after a first read, but I'll give it another look after I finish his other books, "Mirror Mirror" and "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister."

For what it's worth, I plan to see the musical when it comes to Tampa. I definately want to see the musical.