04 November 2005

It's been five years since the last doctor visit....

Yeah, fine.

I know there's something not right... It's tangible, I can feel it. High blood pressure in reaction to the stress of stopping smoking cold? Maaaayybe. So that's why I have a doctor's appointment.

Maybe I didn't mention that significant event here? Somehow I forgot to write that six weeks ago yesterday I stopped smoking. Actually that's the day I wrote down, but I think it's actually anniversaried on Wednesday.

Whatever! Six weeks of no addiction. Six weeks of having to find something else to obsess over. Six weeks of not being able to have a cup of coffee at home without getting twitchy. Six weeks of not stuffing my face - that's really different, there really is no driving need to eat going on here [cool].

So? I don't make coffee at home anymore. I eat breakfast of orange juice and eggos. And what is really interesting is that, well... I'm not getting twitchy for a cigarette. The desire, the 'what I want' has no name... I just want 'something.' Odd. Not complaining. Just odd.

A fun [not] result of taking a vacation from seeing a doctors - and - getting a new one to boot: I have about seven to nine tests that I have to get completed in the next few weeks - I guarantee you that one will be put off till I can no longer avoid it. Gack.

Chest X-rays, blood test, bone density scan... other things and a two week return to meet the doctor that I never saw Friday. Thank goodness the PA was competent. Gives a good shot, ya hey flu season.

Had an EKG that looked great - a good thing since I really want clearance to start running again to keep away the 'stopping smoking = weight gain' jinx.

So many changes have spun off this decision. The purchase of a Vita-mix 'blender' to aid in the dietary change. If I can start running/biking seriously, I will buy myself an iPod - one has to reward oneself for deeds well done.

So far, I haven't seen a weight gain [seriously knocking on wood]... just want to stay on top of it.